Wednesday 17 July 2019

. . . for a birthday that needs an "OLDOMETER"

Special birthdays often need to have the age included
and seventy is an extra special milestone.
 I remember seeing lots of different "oldometer" cards out there in cyberland over the years, so I decided to make mine ticking over from 69 to 70.


I started by opening my Silhouette Studio to design the panels for my card.  I wanted the numbers to be quite large, so with all the metallic matting layers, the card soon grew, ending up 8" tall and 7" wide, a big card for a big birthday.  I confess that I spent ages choosing the fonts for my numbers and sentiment (details below), it has made me realise that I have become a bit of a font hoarder collector.  In case you're interested, the numbers are 350 font size, making them 4" high, before being trimmed and the "OLDOMETER" is 130 font size and 1 1/4" high.

I cut the "oldometer" sentiment, numbers and panels using my Silhouette Cameo, using metallic cardstock for the gold & silver, heavy textured cardstock for the black layers and card base.  As the card is so large, I had to create the card base using two 7" x 8" panels, scoring the back panel 1" from the top and adhering to the front panel.  I used liquid adhesive to secure all the layers, alphas and numbers.  Note: I aligned the numbers on the gold panel, adhered them in place, then trimmed off the edges with my favourite scissors.



I matted the inside of the card to match the front and added a large die cut sentiment.


Here you can see how I created the top fold.

   

Instead of an envelope, I made a large flat gift box to hold the card.  I used the same heavy black cardstock, cut, scored, burnished the folds then trimmed the corners to complete the dimension.  I made the top 1/8" larger so that it wasn't too snug to put on / take off.


~~~*~~~*~~~

*** INGREDIENTS ***

age numbers - digital font - Bernard MT Condensed
"OLDOMETER" - digital font - Playbill font
gold metallic cardstock
silver metallic cardstock
American Crafts - 12x12 textured cardstock - black
Silhouette Cameo + own design
Sizzix Big Shot
Couture Creations - Intricutz Dies - Script Happy Birthday
sentiment inside the card
scoreboard and bone folder - for the top fold and gift box
Helmar Acid Free Professional Glue - to adhere the top fold
Helmar 450 Quick Dry adhesive - to adhere the matting layers
Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Adhesive - to adhere the sentiment

~~~*~~~*~~~
I am going to enter my card in the following challenges:

4 comments:

  1. Wow-I love your great design! Love the oldometer clicking around too! Thanks for joining us at Die Cut Divas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Tracy, this is just too cute and fun. I've book marked, my friend and will have to case it soon. Love it!!!
    Have a great day.
    Big hugs,
    ♥ Lena
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea and imagination behind this card. I love it. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won the July challenge at Die Cut Divas. Please email us at thedcdivas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.