Wednesday 22 July 2020

Butterfly Birthday Wishes

It's time for a new challenge with us on the
As always, the challenge is Anything Goes.

~~~*~~~*~~~

The sponsors for this challenge are:
Fred She Said Digital Designs


~~~*~~~*~~~

Today I have used the SwallowTail Butterfly digital stamp by Fred She Said Digital Designs to make a pair of shaker cards.  This digital stamp set comes with a combination of black & white and pre-coloured images.  I have used the pre-coloured SwallowTail Butterfly digital stamp to try a new-to-me shaker card technique.


My cards started on my Silhouette Studio design mat.  I opened the pre-coloured SwallowTail Butterfly digital stamp and a pretty blue digital watercolour paper.  I confess, I printed a bundle of these butterflies, fussy cut each one, carefully inked the outer edges then decided on a different card design, so my kaleidoscope of butterflies (yes, I looked it up) have been set aside for another day.  I added an offset to the butterfly, printed a sheet of them then cut with my Cameo.  I trimmed the digital paper to 4 3/4" x 6 1/2", added a 3 1/2" round window and sized the butterfly to fit neatly inside, printed then cut with my Cameo.  I added an 1/16" offset to make a matting layer for the window panel and cut it with my Cameo.  I matted a card base 5 1/8" x 6 7/8" to allow for a 1/8" border around the matted shaker panel.  I die cut sets of black and white alphas to make layered "HAPPY" and sets of a layered "Birthday" for both cards, adhering the layers together before adhering to the card fronts.
I used double-sided tape to adhere acetate to the shaker window then added foam around the back of the matted card front, carefully sealing around the edges of the window.  I went around the outer and inner edges of the foam with a black marker to match the matting layer.  The butterflies were adhered together with some clear jewellery bead thread between the layers along the middle body line.  The layered butterfly was secured in place with double-sided tape, with the length at the top allowing the butterfly to float down in the window but not to the bottom and the length at the bottom allowing the butterfly to float up to the top of the window ... sure hope this makes sense ... the idea is to allow the butterfly to flutter around the window without going upside down.  You can read all about it HEREin this fabulous tutorial by Jennifer McGuire.  I put some double-sided tape on top of the thread, cutting slightly longer, folding back and putting more tape on top, to ensure the thread doesn't work loose.  I had so much fun making a special shaker mix, combining cupped and flat sequins, seed beads and bugle beads in a range of blues, black and sparkling clear.  The photo below was my second attempt at making the card.  The first time I sealed it closed it was way too full, so I quickly peeled off the backing layer before the liquid adhesive had dried, luckily my "Quick Dry" wasn't too quick!  I tipped the shaker mix out, made a huge mess, eventually dividing all the different elements in half and sharing them between the two cards.  This time I sealed the card again and it was much better.


Before I sealed the second card, I decided to carefully pick out the beads and add more sparkling clear flat sequins to give the butterfly more room to float around the window.  If you look closely in the shaker windows above and below, you will be able to see the clear thread limiting the movement of the butterflies.

  
   

~~~*~~~*~~~

I also had the pleasure of working the Paper Nest Dolls



~~~*~~~*~~~

NOW it's YOUR turn!
I hope that I have inspired you to get creative
and look forward to seeing your projects fill the gallery for
Penny's Challenge 476
on the
Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge Blog

~~~*~~~*~~~

*** INGREDIENTS ***
Fred She Said Digital Designs - digital stamp - SwallowTail Butterfly
digital paper - Watercolor Backgrounds
this was a freebie set of nine papers from The Hungry JPEG
Silhouette Cameo
Sizzix Big Shot
Kaisercraft - decorative dies - Alphabet Uppercase
Cottage Cutz - layered Happy Birthday dies
acetate -
X-Press It - foam tape - X-Press It - double-sided tape -
Helmar 450 Quick Dry adhesive - to adhere the layers
Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Adhesive - to adhere the alphas

~~~*~~~*~~~
Sending a big Thank You to for supplying the digital stamp I used today and for being a sponsor for Challenge 476Penny's Paper-Crafty Challenge Blog
    
~~~*~~~*~~~
I am going to enter my card in the following challenges

3 comments:

  1. ooo, a kaleidoscope of butterflies! I love little snippets of information like that! Such a fantastic idea to anchor the butterfly is it doesn't turn upside down! These are gorgeous Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great card - thanks for sharing it with us at the Great Creative Challenge Blog.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining our Happy Birthday challenge with your pretty butterfly card.
    Diane Louise
    Team Leader, Crafty Friends Challenge Blog x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.