Tuesday 2 August 2016

Mermaid Kisses

A few days ago I shared this card and promised to share about my colouring adventures.


I'm pretty new to Copic Markers and found them fascinating to work with.
The brush tips of the Sketch and Ciao markers are a real pleasure to use, where you can apply a thick, luscious line of colour down to the tiniest of points.
I did find that some of the markers are "juicier" than others and soon learned the colours to go extra careful with, as it was ever-so-easy to saturate the paper and get bleeding.  This was especially true for the black marker I used to go around the edges after I fussy cut the image out.


I used a white Sakura GELLY ROLL pen to make the pearls in her hair and earings really POP.  It was a challenge to do the smallest ones and confess that I used my piercing tool to drag off the excess when I went over the lines.  I went over the lines with a black 0.05 Copic Multi Liner and it seemed to work just fine "WHEN" I allowed everything to dry out ... it got messy if the white gel pen was still wet or if the background hair was already saturated.
=> the biggest lesson I take away is to
BE PATIENT
... it gets so exciting when the colours are blending but if you go too fast colours bleed and go where you really don't want them to!!!

Here is the sheet I used to test colour combinations

Three little mermaids ... and only one good enough to use ...


NOW for the grzzly details.
I was too impatient with this one.  I started to add black to the fussy cut edges and her ear was still "wet" from colouring, so the black ink bled.  I tried to mute it down with the colourless blended but it went quite murky and wet.  I was worried that if it got too saturated, that it would affect further into her face and hair.
What do you think, try the colourless blender again, let it dry then shade her ear darker to try and cover it?
 

ANOTHER example of being too impatient ... or maybe it was not being careful with an ultra juicy black marker?  I had finished colouring her in and was going around the fussy cut edges with a black marker.  Once I was done I saw this horrid black squiggly bit low in her face, just to the right of where the turtle is kissing her.  It must have smeared from my fingers as I held her to colour around all of the delicate edges.  I tried repeatedly to remove it with the colourless blender but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, apart from a growing "zone" of fading skin.  As you can see, I did try to blend over it with a darker shade but it still keeps jumping out at me.
What do you think, keep working on covering it with a darker shade?  Will the darker skin make her face and hair too similar?

I hope you enjoyed learning about my colouring mis-adventures.
... I sure did!

So, now is the time to finish on a more positive note and see some close-up photos of my card showing the super cute mermaid kissing the turtle and of her tail.  You can't see it as well as I had hoped, but the white has a delicate dimension.
The lights were a little bright and sadly the colouring looks bleeched in this photo, making it difficult to see her delicate rosy cheeks.

The gorgeous sparkle on the tail is from a combination of Clear Zig Wink Of Stella Brush Marker and Zig Wink Of Stella Glitter Pens applied after colouring with Copic Markers.

~~~ INGREDIENTS ~~~
Aurora Wings - digital stamp - Sea Turtle Kiss
Copic Markers - face - E50 YR20 R01
Copic Markers - hair - E11 E13 E15 E18
Copic Markers - tail - BG10 BG11 BG13 G02
Copic Markers - turtle - YR12 E18 YR68 R46 V09
Copic Marker - tiny space between mermaid & turtle - B12
Zig Wink Of Stella Glitter Pen - bikini top - pink and dark pink
Zig Wink Of Stella Glitter Pen - starfish on mermaid tail - yellow
Zig Wink Of Stella Glitter Pen - accents on mermaid tail - green
Copic Multiliner - edges to fussy cut image - 0.3 Black
Copic Multiliner - circles around the pearls - 0.05 Black
Zig Wink of Stella Clear Brush - sparkle accent to mermaid tail
Sakura white GELLY ROLL pen - pearls in hair & earings
Canson Coloured Card A4 - Sky BluePrimary Blue and Azure Blue
Fiskars XXL Tag Lever Punch - sentiment panel
Fiskars border punch - Boundary Waters
Pretty Pink Posh - Sparkling Clear Sequins - 4mm, 6mm and 8mm

~~~*~~~*~~~
I am going to enter my card in the following challenges
~~~*~~~*~~~
with Kathy Racoosin from The Daily Marker
#thedailymarker30days


I have shared the details about the 30 Day Coloring Challenge HERE on my blog.

~~~*~~~*~~~

Lawn Fawn products are being showcased this week but I have to confess that I don't have any in my stash ... so my compromise is to use this cute digital mermaid while thinking of the "Mermaid For You" stamp set by Lawn Fawn :)
  

~~~*~~~*~~~

4 comments:

  1. This is so sweet!! I love all the waves behind your little mermaid!! So sweet!!!! And that sentiment is perfect!!! I might just be borrowing that one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have amazing coloring skills - such a cute card - that mermaid is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.