Saturday 27 November 2021

Day 21 at Beccy's Place - S is for Springs . . .

. . . transformed into Shiny Silver Spring Stars!

I'm playing along with the

Ninth Annual Month Of Holiday Cards

at

Beccy's Place


I'm not colouring at the moment but I am working on Christmas craft projects for creative little hands around our neighbourhood ... the endless months of Covid-19 lockdowns has brought our community much closer and I look forward to sharing more crafty adventures with them over the coming weekends and school holidays now that restrictions have eased.

Beccy's prompt for Day 21 is the letter "S"
(Beccy's post with "S" inspiration words and
adorable sheep card to inspire is HERE)

My "S" project is a Shiny Silver Spring Star ornament.


My "S" project comes from the leftovers from making kid's activity kits.

The leftovers are springs ... the springs that hold wooden pegs (clothespins) together.  After madly twisting pegs apart in readiness to use the wooden pieces for kid's craft activities, I tossed all the springs into a bag, not knowing what I would do with them but hey, I'm a crafter and we all know that all sorts of bits and pieces come in handy ... one day.  Well that day is today.  In my wanderings around cyberland, I found a tutorial for star ornaments (see link below).


It takes ten of these peg springs to make each ornament.  Gently pull the ends apart of the first spring and slide one end into the coiled end of the second spring, then tuck the other side of the end into the other side of the coiled end ... hope that makes sense ... sometimes you have to jiggle the ends a bit to fit neatly into the coil.  Take another spring and attach, continuing until all ten springs make a wonky chain.  Join the ends to close the loop, making a wonky circle.  Adjust the springs to form a star shape (mountain-valley-mountain-valley style) and put a drop of superglue into each coil.  Finish off the ornament by tying a ribbon through one of the star points to make a loop for hanging.

   

I confess, I love this ornament ... think I might have to find some more wooden peg craft activities so that I have more "leftovers" to make some more star ornaments, along with a rustic tree to hang them on.  I think the older, stronger, little hands will enjoy pulling pegs apart and make some of these too.


*** INGREDIENTS ***
metal springs - 10 per star
* the metal springs released when wooden pegs (clothespins) are pulled apart *
super glue
ribbon-twine-string-cord - to hang the star ornament

*** REFERENCE ***
This project was inspired by the "Clothespin Spring Star”
video tutorial by “Easy Kids Crafts” HERE.

4 comments:

  1. This is clever Tracy, what a great use for those leftover springs. They have a lovely country vibe to them too, I think it's the combination of the metal and ribbon. Great idea!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Beccy :)

      ... starting to think I should join "hoarders anonymous" ... our house is FILLED with the A to Z of Christmas crafting CHAOS at the moment!

      Delete
  2. I just did a project by using wooden clothes pin but didn't know what to do with the springs....thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this project will help with your spring stash Terri :)

      Delete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.