Tuesday 30 November 2021

Day 25 at Beccy's Place - V is for Village

  I'm playing along with the

Ninth Annual Month Of Holiday Cards

at

Beccy's Place


Beccy's prompt for Day 25 is the letter "V"
(Beccy's post with "V" inspiration words and beautiful
embossed vellum card to inspire is HERE)

My "V" project is a Village ...
... a set of Gingerbread House accordion fold Christmas Village cards.
I confess, I haven't made or mailed any Christmas cards yet and thought I had better get started making some so that I could start sending them out in time ... kids activities will have to take a time-out for a bit.




I opened the cut file (details and link below) in Silhouette Studio and enlarged the village scene base to 11 3/4" wide.  I removed the score cut lines so that I could make smooth manual folds using my scoreboard and bone folder.  Enlarging this file has the smoke billowing from the chimney making it stand 6" high.  This is quite an ornate design and it took quite some time to cut and even longer to weed.  It was so fiddly and taking so long that I even considered scrapping them and cutting a new set but I was more than halfway done so I persevered.  I scored the folds for the bases, burnished with a bone folder, then adhered the ornate icing layers to the gingerbread houses making up this fun folding Christmas village scene.  I added a luscious layer of Frosted Lace Stickles to the chimneys, front and back ... you don't want to know why but I'm going to tell you anyway!  The first sign this set of cards would need "help" was when I adhered the second house panel in place ... yikes ... I had put glue over the entire panel but the "smoke" doesn't have any card base to stick on to ... that glue went so sticky on this hot day and didn't want to come off cleanly at all.  The second sign was when I had finished adhering all the panels in place and folded the cards to see how they looked.  EPIC fail ... remember the trouble I had weeding these delicate pieces from my cutting mat?  Well, the back of these panels was pretty messy, with some of the edges rough and torn.  This isn't usually a problem as you can't see it from the front side but because these panels fold together, the back of the smoke coming from three chimneys on each card was there for all to see and that was not good.  I didn't want to add sparkle, so I searched my stash and found Frosted Lace in my Stickles collection and it was perfect, giving a pretty texture with a subtle sparkle that covered all the blemishes and no-one will ever know.


   

I decided to add another "little extra" to two of the cards, I punched out some red hearts and popped them behind the hearty door windows, so the look pretty from the front and the back.





What do you think, add hearts to the other two?



The fun thing about accordion fold card designs like these is that they fold flat for mailing, they make a fun surprise when the envelope is opened and make a pretty display.


Even though we have a HOT summer Christmas and these cards look like winter snow, they are iced gingerbread, so I think it will be OK to make some more of these (using a NEW pack of cardstock).

*** INGREDIENTS ***
cardstock - white and brown
Silhouette Cameo
Silhouette Design Store - Design ID #235573
Gingerbread House Accordion Card by Nic Squirrell
Scoreboard and bone folder
liquid adhesive - Tombow Mono Multi

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, these are adorable!
    I think I may need to buy this cut file while it is still on offer...
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Marianne :)
      You will definitely enjoy making and giving these cards. I will be getting a fresh pack of cardstock and de-sticky a new cutting mat so that I have a better cutting and weeding experience next time!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome...what a wonderful card to mail out to your recipients













    This is awesome...what a wonderful card to mail to your family, friends & neighbors....well done on the decorations.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Terrie :)
      They are cheery cards and I hope they will bring a smile or three!

      Delete
  3. These cards are fabulous Tracy, what great displays they will make when standing open... I think I would be tempted to keep them. Although the design was intricate and took ages to cut, I'm glad you persevered, and I'm sure whoever receives one will agree. Sorry to hear about your glue mishap, but what a great solution. Frosted Lace is one of my favourite stickles.
    Cheers,
    Beccy
    P.S. I vote "yes" for the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Beccy :)
      AWESOME - I will definitely be punching out more red hearts now! Apart from the challenges making them, I thought the cards were pretty and when I went to take the photos and saw them standing up I was thrilled with the result :)

      Delete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.