Wednesday 24 November 2021

Day 4 at Beccy's Place - D is for Deer

  I'm playing along with the

Ninth Annual Month Of Holiday Cards

at

Beccy's Place


I'm not colouring at the moment but I am working on Christmas craft projects for creative little hands around our neighbourhood ... the endless months of Covid-19 lockdowns has brought our community much closer and I look forward to sharing more crafty adventures with them over the coming weekends and school holidays now that restrictions have eased.

(Beccy's post with "D" inspiration words and
grumpy goose card to inspire is HERE)

My "D" kids Christmas activity kit is for a
Dear little Deer ornament,
Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer.    


These Dear little Deer started as plain wooden pegs (clothespins).  I used a black paint pen and ruler to draw the legs on the top "finger squeeze" end of the peg, in line with the spring.  While the paint was drying I folded a brown pipe cleaner in half then rolled the ends around the pend of the paint pen to make the antlers.  (I used the pen because my fingers are a bit too knobbly, it would be fun for kids to twist them around a finger or two.)  I knotted a loop of twine with a metallic thread then used liquid adhesive to secure the hanging loop and antlers in the "bitey" end of the peg, tucking in the sides so that the pipe cleaner antlers were only visible from the top of the head.  Next came the eyes, of course they had to be googly eyes and tiny red pom poms for the nose.  Lucky last came the scarf.  Instead of a ribbon, I thought it would be easier for little fingers to twist sparkling pipe cleaners to make it more merry.  A pipe cleaner cut in half is the perfect length, with scissors to trim one end to make it look a little more interesting. 
 
   

Which one is your favourite?
... I confess, I love googly eyes, the bigger the better,
they make him look extra cute.



Here they are, laying flat and hanging.

   

I have bags filled with wooden pegs, brown pipe cleaners, tiny red pom poms, coloured and metallic pipe cleaners, glue and assorted ribbons, string and twine ready for a fun workout with my fun new black paint pen.

*** INGREDIENTS ***
wooden pegs
pipe cleaners - brown
mini pom pom - red
googly eyes
1/2 pipe cleaner or fine ribbon - for the scarf
fine cord or twine - for the loop hanger
clear ruler
black paint pen
glue - for antlers & hanger - Helmar 450 Quick Dry
(or tacky glue or a low temperature glue gun)
glue - for googly eyes - Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Adhesive
(or micro glue dots, they're a lot easier and less messy, it's handy to have the eyes already secured on a strip with glue dots so that they just need to be peeled off and stuck in place ... I confess, I have strips of different sized googly eyes ready and waiting for future projects)

*** REFERENCE ***
This project was inspired by the "Clothespin Reindeer Christmas Ornaments"
post on the "One Little Project At A Time" blog HERE

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute Tracy, I can imagine a whole line of them hanging from a string. Love the curly antlers and the big red nose!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Beccy :)
      I confess, I had fun making them and will be hanging them in the window to tempt little hands to come and play. I also print off instructions and add them to the bag of "ingredients" and drop them off when we go by on our walks.

      Delete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.