Saturday 18 November 2023

P is for Pyramid Card


P is for Pyramid Card
... a festive Santa Pyramid


My cards started in Silhouette Studio.  I opened the Santa Frame
pre-coloured image from the Cozy Christmas digital stamp set by Beccy’s Place.
Next came a digital nightmare.  I followed the tutorial I found online and, apart from taking hours and hours to generate the layers, I had made a HUGE mistake by not taking notice of the image import size, it was 5.971" x 7.487".  I printed and cut the panels to make seven layers to go on top of the base image.  Add foam squares behind each layer on this one and I would struggle to find a letterbox slot deep enough to poke it in.  Needless to say, given the size concerns and my current shortage of foam squares, I decided to scale it down and use THIN foam sheets between each layer.  Those mega Santa panels can wait for another day to play.


Now we can begin the making ...
I re-sized the image down to 5" x 6.269" (yes, it's an odd size, I had to keep the dimension locked so the image didn't distort during re-sizing, so the height is the automatic result of the 5" width).  I set up the eight layers, each one just under 1/2" smaller than the one below it.  I added a white rectangle to the middle of each panel, except the top one, so that there wouldn't be a lot of ink waste.  The white area of each one is about 1/2" smaller than the panel going on top of it, so there won't be any white bits showing.  Here is a photo to help it all make sense.


I printed the panels, fussy cut the base piece and went around the edges with a Memento Tuxedo Black Marker (so no white edges were showing), then manually trimmed the other panels down to size.  I cut panels of thin white foam to fit under each of the seven layers, adhered to the back of each panel using liquid adhesive, leaving them to dry so the foam doesn't move.  (Waiting for glue to dry on foam is like watching grass grow and waiting for the kettle to boil at the same time ... if you don't wait, layers slip-N-slide about, don't ask me how I know, just trust me and ALWAYS WAIT.)  Then I started adhering the panels together, starting with the largest, base panel, taking advantage of the liquid adhesive to align the details in both layers with each other.  Slowly but surely I worked my way to the top of my Santa Pyramid.  I made some "custom" card bases for the pyramids using 300gsm smooth white cardstock, adhered the front panels on and my cards were done.

   

   

   





~~~*~~~*~~~
INGREDIENTS
Santa Frame - pre-coloured image
from the Cozy Christmas digital stamp set by Beccy’s Place
textured cardstock
Helmar 450 Quick Dry - liquid adhesive
thin foam sheets
300gsm smooth white cardstock - to make card bases
scoreboard & bone folder - to form card bases

~~~*~~~*~~~
I have entered my cards in the

1 comment:

  1. What a huge effort, but definitely worth the result... your cards are fantastic and I'm sure they'll impress whoever receives them, Tracy. Thanks for sharing the "how-to" photos!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.