Friday 24 November 2023

U is for Upside Down


Day 24 - U

U is for Upside Down
... Santa is stuck Upside Down in the chimney


It’s no secret, I always struggle when we get to the tail end of the alphabet.  Today we have hit the Day “24 - U” prompt and it has consistently been a challenge.  Over the years I have created various versions of an Upside Down Santa in a chimney and this year is no different, sorry for my lack of imagination.  I searched and searched for an Upside Down Santa that I haven’t already used and, success, I found one that ticked all the boxes for me.  It’s a fun fancy fold card with Santa well and truly stuck in the chimney.  So here goes … my cards started, you guessed it, in Silhouette Studio.  I opened the "Santa's Stuck Till Christmas Card In A Box" cut file and set up all the pieces to create two cards.  I cut the pieces, burnished the folds, adhered the white brick panels and snowy flaps.  Next came the layers for Santa, his hat, his sack filled with presents and the holly to go on the layers, all the bits secured together with liquid adhesive.  The bridges are the most important feature for this fancy fold and were the next to go in place.  I secured them with my super strong “book binding” liquid adhesive, ensuring that I folded the card base each way so that the card would fold flat and open smoothly.  I adhered the side panel to form the box card bases, once again opening and closing the card to ensure it would fold flat and open smoothly.  I went to adhere the decorative elements to the bridges and … YIKES … they disappeared against the red background.  I was so used to making box cards with all the base pieces the same colour that I hadn’t noticed that the sample photo had a dark background inside.  I grabbed some black cardstock from my stash and trimmed some panels to mat the bridges and soon all was good with the world again.  I popped and glued the decorative elements in place and Santa was finally stuck Upside Down in the chimney

   


The cards fold flat for mailing.

   


This is a fun fancy fold and is sure to bring a smile as it comes out of the envelope.


Santa's boot, sack and cap have backing pieces, so the card looks
"complete" with trims and ribbons  from both the front and back.


~~~*~~~*~~~
INGREDIENTS
Santa's Stuck Till Christmas Card In A Box - cut file by Suzanne Cannon
- Silhouette Design Store - Design ID #208370
textured cardstock
bone folder - to form the folds
Helmar Acid Free Professional - a liquid "book binding" strength glue
Helmar 450 Quick Dry - to adhere the larger layers
Tombow Mono Multi - liquid adhesive for small pieces
gold marker - to add some pop to the string on Santa's sack

~~~*~~~*~~~
I have entered my cards in the

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Tracy!!! These are such funny cards, I'm sure they'll bring a chuckle to whoever receives one. Awesome idea for the "U" prompt!
    Cheers,
    Beccy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time visit my blog and to leave a comment.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) of May 2018, those leaving a comment on this blog do so in the knowledge that their name, link to their profile or blog, as well as comments they leave are visible and accessible to all those who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Followers of this blog should be aware that their photo and link back to their profile are visible and accessible to anyone who visits this blog and thereby consent to the use of personal information for that specific purpose. This Data Protection and Privacy Policy applies to all content published on my blog and to content published on my blog prior to this document becoming effective.
By visiting this blog and commenting, please consider yourself informed of this privacy and data protection notice.